Social Networks

Back to website

Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Power of a Name

It's amazing to me that I can't really start writing a new story, until all the main character's names are really cemented in my head. I'm beginning a new western now, called Bodine's Bounty, and yes, Bodine will be my hero, a ruggedly alpha male with only the one name. I don't think I even need to give him a first name - that's how alpha he is.

But for my heroine? That is what is bogging me down. It has to be just right. It has to be perfect. I can see her in my mind, what she looks like, how she dresses, how she walks, but so far - her name eludes me.

Why is it so important? I'm not sure. I guess I can attach any name to her and make it fit, but that's not how I operate. I've been plotting this story with my husband, who is BTW, a master plotter, even though he doesn't read romances (not even mine!) but between the two of us and a book on names, I haven't found the right one yet.

It's out there, somewhere and I know I'll find her name and it will fit my story to the letter, but I'm anxious to move on - to make the story come to life and enjoy the process. Until I figure out who my heroine is, I can't do that.

So what would you name a young wisp of a woman, with a slender body, long dark flowing hair, nothing remarkable about her face but incredible inky black almond-shaped eyes, and a lilting voice that could stop the devil in his tracks?

1 comment:

Cheryl St.John said...

I can't start a story without the perfect name for each character either. I have a picture of your heroine - lovely description.

She sounds exotic, but touchable. Lola? Rose? Roanna? Madeline?

Since he has only one name, what if she has two or three:
Madeline Rose

I love the pure sound of Kathleen.
Amy Kathleen

Simpler: Mary Alyce

Will be waiting to hear what you decide.